Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Going home

I grew up 550 miles from where I currently live. After I first moved away I would go home a few times a year to visit and see my mom and my friends. Over the years life just got in the way of being able to go home as much as I'd like to. As I gained weight I was more and more embarrassed to see anyone when I did make the trip back home and so when I would have the chance to go I would only visit with my mom. I was too ashamed of how I looked to face my friends. Now don't get me wrong, my friends are great and they wouldn't have given my weight or appearance a second thought, but I didn't know how to deal with how I felt about myself. 

In the last few years my job situation has changed and I get quite a bit of PTO now and so I am more able to start going home for visits more regularly. In a few weeks I will be heading home and I am making plans to see some of my closest friends while I am there. This will be the first time in years to see some of them. I am excited to see them and be proud of the progress I have made. I will be proud to be there in a size 16/18 which is smaller then I was when I graduated high school. While my size has never mattered to my friends I look forward to seeing their responses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment